Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Bringing the Sexy to the Doe River

Friday, March 16 and Saturday, March 17

The rain fell on east tennessee last weekend bringing the chance for a Doe River Gorge run. Josh and I had made plans to hit the Doe after school on Friday. We knew the river was going to be high, but neither one of us knew what the level was going to be. As I left school, I did a last minute check to find the level at 800 cfs at 1pm. It was 2:30 pm and still raining. We met at Valley Forge, saw a level higher than we had ever run before, and decided to fire it up anyway. The Doe at 1,200 cfs is a completely different river than at the 400-700 cfs we were accustomed to. It was full of big waves and bigger holes. By the time we made our way to toaster slot, we knew we were going to be in for a heck of a day. The ledges above Body Snatcher were huge, at one spot, I crested a huge wave, only to be staring at a bigger hole and the bottom of Josh's boat. I checked my speed for one second to not T-bone him and then went straight in. I don't know what came over me, but as I was surfed in the hole, hanging on for dear life, I started yelling my "yee-haws" as loud as I could and laughing my arse off. Good times.

We got out of the kayaks to scout Body Snatcher. I can't begin to explain how intimidating this rapid looked. Everyone made it through without a problem, except for yours truly who got too far right at the bottom drop and got off a random roller at the bottom ledge! The ledges after body snatcher and before Flagpole were hugenormous! It really was all about cresting a wave, slamming a hole, and paddling for your life! We took the right side around Flagpole Rapid and were treated to a super-sweet boof at the end. We continued out of the gorge and paddled the Lower Doe to Valley Forge for a great ending to the day.

Friday's TVF: 680 feet

Brian Pickett in top ledges of Body Snatcher

Josh Dalton at the bottom hole in Body Snatcher

Saturday brought the Doe River down to a calmer 600-800 cfs day. Alan and I made our way to the Doe to attempt a 4 lap day. As we drove to the put-in, the snow really began to come down. By the time we slid our kayaks into the water, there was an inch of snow on the ground. It was a nice, though slightly cold day on the water, and our first two laps went extrememly smooth. However, I was completely exhausted when we put in for the third and my surgically repaired left shouler was really feeling it. I hate admitting it, but I took some great beatings in Body Snatcher and Flagpole, and we both decided that a 4th lap might involve me swimming the entire river. So, after a 3 lap day, we called it quits for the weekend. We no longer have any days left on the Doe, but we do have 2 days on the Little, 2 days on Tellico, 1 day Wilson, and 1 day on the Watauga left. Plenty of options for our last three days in the competition.

Saturday's TVF: 1,625 feet

-brian

No comments: